Saturday, August 7, 2004

Planes, Trains, Automobiles...and Buses

+++ transportation clipart bus

This falls under the category of "things that make me crazy".  The thing is public transportation.  Don't get me wrong--it's a great thing but it makes me crazy when I have to use it.  Ok, so an automobile isn't public transportation but it factors into the story when you have to drive to make your connection, right?  It's all connected! 

So, on Thursday I had to be in the downtown DC office for training.  For those who don't live in a major metro area like Washington, having the 4th worst traffic IN THE COUNTRY,  remember that show Murphy Brown?  Remember they used to drive into work together?  Well that would be because of HOV restrictions on roads leading into the city and why I had to take public transportation on Thursday. 

Let's begin with the bus (btw, there is no plane in this story, that's just the title)  I start out by falling back to sleep after the alarm went off thereby cutting my getting ready for work time in half and let me mention that when I researched this wonderful new county bus that picks you up within a half mile of my house and takes you to the train station I found two different pick up times listed.  Let's just say that I should have believed it was the earier time AND that the bus would be right on the dot.  So there I am caught at the light across the street from the shopping center where the bus pulls in, I'm pulled up so far my FRIGGING MINIVAN doesn't trip the light, and the the bus departs.  For a brief time I am behind, then in front of, then next to the FRIGGING BUS on the road to the train station.  Let me take a step back.  I was preparing to take the bus because the new thing at the Metro stations is that you need a smartcard to park there.  They no longer accept cash.  But I can't get a smartcard because SOME MORON underordered smartcards and there are none to be had.  So I decide to take a chance that some Metro parking lots are taking cash so folks without smartcards can park. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong.  So I head to the Merrifield Metro station and learn that they are not accepting cash.  Why didn't I borrow Fern's smartcard when she offered it?  Why did I go to Merrifield instead of W. Falls?  Because I had the bus thing all figured out, that's why.  Now I develop my Plan C right there on the spot.  Plan C was to drive to my office, located midway between the Merrifield station and the West Falls Metro, park there & take a taxi to the station.  Do I need to tell you upon arrival at W. Falls I learn they are accepting cash?  No?  You figured that out already?  Finally I'm on the right track, literally and figuratively.  Everything is right with hhe world excluding my feet. The shoes I wore chewed blisters into my heels while I hustled to the train platform.  That's what I get for running around barefoot for the past 3 months, right?  So now I'm hobbling down the hill from Metro Center to the office, dragging my computer in a rollie bag behind me (thank God for rollie bags), with my purse and breast pump (Medela Pump In Style, btw) banging against my hip.  Let's summarize what I've learned:

1.  RecruitSoft - that's what I was there for, after all

2.  The bus really does come at 6:50 a.m.

3.  Do not look a gift smartcard in the mouth.  Borrow Fern's for next time

4.  It's time to throw those black flats in the trash

5.  I'm not smart enough to take public transportation?

6.  The receptionist at 12th St is new but she does have a first aid kit at her desk

7.  I can now get to the ladies room AND the mother's lounge without getting lost.

I am all ready to try it again on Wednesday!

 

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a nightmare to me!!  Uggghhh!  I was getting heartburn just reading about your morning!  Thank God I travel 2 miles total to work and 2 miles home (I work at the school in my town).  The only traffic I have is when I get behind a tractor or a truck full of hay.  I am glad you made it there at least!!  
Hugs and love, Lisa