Monday, September 6, 2004

Flybaby

I think I'm Finally Loving Myself.  I also think this woman, Marla Cilley, is an inspired genious.  From breaking it all down into baby steps to publishing the personal testimonials, she makes it possible for the harried perfectionist that I am to feel good about small accomplishments and to feel hopeful and maybe even faithful that I will climb to the top of the clutter and defeat it on day.  Reading testimonials earlier this morning the following rang particularly true:  cooking healthy meals makes you feel so much better physically and emotionally than eating take out and frozen crap out of a box; being a perfectionist where religion is concerned may result in living outside of your religion for fear that you're not practicing it 100% so you'd better not try at all; jumping on the bandwagon and being obsessed with a new program leads to quick burnout and abandonment.  Being forced to take baby steps has taught me to feel a sense of accomplishment from small tasks completed.  I don't have the time or the energy to power clean the whole house just to get it just right all at once.  Thank goodness we're blessed to be able to afford Susana every two weeks but the daily surface clutter and the accumulated packrat clutter are mine to own completely (along with DH).  Looking at life in 15-20 minute chunks has helped me to finally learn to fit more into my life, take care of things before they become overwhelming, enjoy little things, and most importantly, it has given me something valuable to teach my children. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know all about the baby steps!  But, not the cleaning baby steps, just the life in general ones!   I have read about this Fly Lady over the last year in J-land but have only gone to her site once.  It's not for me, but hey, you do what you feel comfortable doing.  I personally like the rush of doing it all at once and cleaning like a madwoman.  I work MUCH better under pressure and in chaos it seems.  Glad you are loving it and that you are loving yourself!  That's all that matters!  :)
Hugs and love, Lisa