Monday, September 6, 2004

Bets You Don't Want to Win

I don't mean to brag but, oh hell I always do, I made some yummy guacamole tonight using tomato and chile peppers from my garden.  That would be the shambles of a garden that the big brown bad doggie has left for me to harvest.  Anyway, so Aunt Dee calls to say that I've succeeded through my awesome power of suggestion in getting HER addicted to the Edy's Whole Fruit Bars.  She can't find them by the box and so must buy them singly at CVS.  What heathen country is she from?  Philly suburbs.  So I ask if they're on track to come down for the christening.  "Of course, your mother and I are coming,"  she says.  "What about Uncle Ed,"  I say.  "He doesn't attend functions,"  she responds.  "When your sister has something he drops me off and picks me up."  That's just great.  He's never been to my home and he's blowing this off as another "function"? Another "don't get me started" occurrence. 

So, she's leaving it up to my Mom as to the logistics of coming down for the christening.  Here we go again.  I am betting she's leaning toward coming down and going home the same day.  When is she going to consult with me about rides to and from the train station.  Do I need to ask why my Uncle who does an annual trip from Philly to freakin' Florida can't drive them to the DC suburbs, a mere 3 hour drive?  Oh that's right, I said don't get me started.  Bottom line - I don't believe they'll be here.  I hope it's a bet I don't win.  I feel bad that my aunt won't be here to see Katherine in all her radiant glory.  I feel bad my mom isn't considering coming on Saturday; leaving on Monday so we can have a visit in there somewhere.  I feel bad for myself that I know these things are true without even having the conversation with my mother. So right now I'm going to give myself the approval to say "well done!" for a nice party because I know it will be a wonderful day and a special time with friends regardless of the fact that no family are here to share it.    

No comments: