Sunday, April 20, 2008

Stormy Weather

Katherine just announced to her father, "You can't change nature."  She said she was telling him this because she loves him.  Not that he was trying to change nature or anything - she'd just heard it on her movie "Ratatouille".  She just cracks me up.  It's warmish outside and the rain is just pouring down.  There's an occasional rumble of thunder to make things interesting.  I was just outside for a few minutes enjoying the sight of my new geraniums, ranunculus, and other drinking it all up.  The new front walk just looks outstanding now with the flowers all coming up and the little tiny patch of grass green for the moment.  Jackson is at a movie party for his friend A, along with 3 other kids in the same kindergarten and tkd class.  So cute, especially the little girl that's with them.  She's a holy terror when she's in her kicking stance and tkd yelling, LOL.  A lives next door to Kate's little friend N who is in the same dance class and on the same soccer team as Kate.  We have a nice little neighborhood and it makes a huge difference now that we have kids in school and other lessons and on teams and have been meeting their parents.  For years it felt so isolated. 

Soheil was just here to repair some of our ceramic floor tiles where the grout had started to chip out.  Jeff had him look over the basement and the plan he'd sketched out for finishing it off.  We're like a glacier the way we move - imperceptible progress but we're definitely going somewhere.  Jeff had taken a bunch of pictures with the digital camera pointed out the back door and then used the autostitch function to make a panoramic view - wow, it looks nice out there.  My reaction was that if we were shopping for houses and saw that pic we'd be really impressed.  That tells me that we're still pretty much in love with this house.  I always have been in love with this house - warts and all.  Yes, the various nail pops that are multiplying like bunnies in the springtime are getting to me and so is the rag painting in all three of the bathrooms.  What the house needs the most if for me to continue to de-junk it.  That's an awkward word "de-junk".  I know, it's not even a word.  But the awkwardness of it is what makes it perfect to describe the not quite comfortableness of the housewith mess behind every door and inside every drawer.  We have too much stuff and the more I think I'm getting rid of it the more we have coming in the door.  One step forward one step back, two steps forward  three steps back, two steps forward - feel good for a while then another step forward....but I'm getting more and more ok with it.  I'm trying to be happier in the now of it.  Reading A New Earth is convincing me that I'm on the right track.  There are no do-overs so I may as well be as happy as I can be on this road that I'm on.  I'm managing that by focusing on the biggest blessings - my wonderful husband and children.  God has really taken care of me in this life and I'm so thankful for everything around me - the home, the job, the friends, the neighborhood.  It all adds up to make our life really great considering we're just two working fools trying to provide for the family and be happy. 

No comments: