Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sitting on the Dock of the Bay, er, sort of

My child is screaming bloody murder. She's had the freshest mouth for weeks now and she's been warned. Daddy finally had it and put her in her room for a time out. That's didn't go over well...more screaming. Brother is at a friend's playing so what should be a quiet afternoon with the girls watching a movie and daddy and me web surfing has turned into a battle zone. Suddenly it's quiet. And it's dark today too, because it's rainy. I want to put down this laptop and roll over and have a snooze but it's 4:30 and I cooked a roast so now have to go make my potatoes and another veggie and finish off the dinner. Then I'll have the evening but unless I get a 2nd wind I don't think I'll be downstairs in my scrap nook working on anything. The mind is willing but the body wants to stay right here and watch Law&Order later - maybe play a little wordscraper on FB...at least I got out to pick up my prescription and get groceries so I can cook this weekend. This new work schedule leaves no time to plan, shop for, and cook a meal or any combination of the above, during the week. Tonight is a little roast beef with mashed potatoes and asparagus, tomorrow I'm planning to make chicken soup and also a pot of tomato sauce with Italian sausage in it to have over pasta for dinner one night this week. I need a 2nd wind, I need a 2nd wind...forcing myself to get up so I can put the potatoes on to boil and rotate the laundry out of the washer and into the dryer and then fold some.
Jeff cleaned today - thoroughly mopped the tile floors in the kitchen and family room - had to change the water in the middle...I need to call the cleaning lady this week and have the little chat about not being able to afford to pay her to come and half-ass clean my house when I'm capable of half-ass cleaning it myself....It's taken me a few weeks to get to the point of being ready to have this conversation because I was so irritated about having to have it in the first place. I'm not as irritated now. I'll walk through the dry mopping under all of the furniture in the family room, wiping down the baseboard/tiles in the bathroom where water drips from hand drying and it gets gungy, and the use of the sponge mop vs. the stick and rags on the floors.....one more time....and this will be the last time. During the three weeks my thoughts ran the gamut of - just stopping the service and doing myself, hiring someone else, having the talk but then worrying that there will be resentment, etc. It's only fair to have the talk. These are bad times economically and no one can afford to lose income. I'd want to know the real deal. These are conversations that are difficult for me to have....I just want everyone to do what they're supposed to do and then everybody's happy. It doesn't work that way, does it?
I have to finish off this dinner-making because Jackson needs to be picked up in about 40 mins.....If anyone needs lessons in how to waste time please drop me a line - I am sooooo good at it!!!

No comments: